Thursday, March 23, 2006

I have no idea what I’m doing.

Here’s yesterday’s LB Workout. Eh. It was an OK workout, but I’ll strive for much improvement next time. I’m walking like a wounded old lady today, so must’ve done something right... but I definitely took the easy route.

Quads:
Leg Press
1x12 – 90 lbs.
2x10 – 90 lbs. Oops, “forgot” to add weights. Ha.
3x8 – 90 lbs. Oops, “forgot” to add weights. Ha.
4x6 – 180 lbs.
5 x 12 – 90 lbs.
Leg Extension 1x12 – 60 lbs.

Hamstrings:
Sitting Leg Curl
1x12 – 70 lbs.
2x10 – 80 lbs.
3x8 – 90 lbs.
4x6 – 10 lbs.
5 x 12 – 70 lbs.
DB Lunge 1x12 – 15 lbs.

Calves:
45 Degree Calf (got a really good burn with these)
1x12 – 110 lbs.
2x10 – 120 lbs.
3x8 – 130 lbs.
4x6 – 140 lbs.
5 x 12 – 120 lbs.
Standing Calf Raise 1x12 – 130 lbs.

Abs
Decline sit-ups w/10 lb. weight
Hanging leg lifts
Cable Crunches

About today’s title: I’m seriously looking into an entirely new training workout – lifting heavy with lower reps (not BFL style at all). In fact, it’s 4 full body workouts per week with 2 HIIT’s and 1 SS. I still have much research to do… so we’ll see how soon I make the transition. Probably not for several weeks. My goal isn’t to bulk and then cut – that’s definitely not for me (I’m afraid it would suck me into some yo-yo diet madness again). I’m confused about whether I can add lots of muscle and lean out at the same time. Seems like everything I read about gaining muscle says you'll inevitably gain fat as well. So basically I have no idea what I’m doing, but I feel I’m ready for a change in my program. I really think BFL is an awesome program and helps people once afraid of the weight room to ease into it, but I’m feeling ready for forward progression. I’m no expert and still have a lot to learn, but if I wait till I feel I have enough knowledge, I’ll be waiting forever. Besides, I really hate loading the weight plates on the leg press with each set. HATE IT.

Food is good and clean. According to the calorie zig-zag calculator, I'm supposed to average about 1480 calories per day to lose weight. Here are my totals for this week so far and my plan of attack for the remainder:

Mon: 1420
Tue: 1641
Wed: 1450
Thu: Target - 1320
Fri: Target - 1350
Sat: Target - 1620
Sun: Target - 1350

Again, I really don't know what the hell I'm doing... hopefully this plan of attack is OK.

This morning’s workout was HIIT on the elliptical. I want to give my shins a little rest from running. It was a good workout, but certainly not as satisfying as Tuesday’s.

****Whine Alert****

My shins are really hurting. Every time I build up to a really good treadmill HIIT routine with continuous improvements my shin splints rear their ugly little heads. It’s really frustrating. Hopefully the physical therapist can help me with these as well as my knee. Wah.

****End Whine****


My lower body is hurting in all the right places. I’m actually looking forward to tomorrow’s upper body workout and upping the weights from Monday. Mojo is still going strong. Ba-da-bing.

Stef and Pamela – I’ve been so busy with packing, work project, moving sale, blah, blah, blah. The only times I have a chance to call is too early in the morning or too late at night. Things should settle down soon. Pamela, I’m so disappointed that I’ll miss meeting you at Phat Camp. ARGGG. =(

Jim – the chest presses are coming right along. I feel more soreness in my chest than I ever have and I really appreciate your pointers. You’re a rock star. My chest and I thank you!

9 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger FV Tom said...

Hey Rachel, the workout looked pretty good.

I'm with you - I'm changing up from BFL. It's exactly as you said - I had no real gym experience so BFL was exactly what I needed to get me pointed in the right direction.

Good luck, and let us know how this works out for you.

Your SoCal neighbor!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Hey, I am just starting to think about switching things up myself. will be interested to see how things work for you.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Wolfie said...

Oh do I know the old lady walk! lol. That's GREAT! Will probably still be sore tomorrow, and you'll be happy about it, right?

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

Sounds like a good plan! I'm in the 12th week of my challenge and I'm also thinking of changing up my routine, particularly the weight lifting part.

Sorry about your shins. Hope they feel better. Man, you're an animal on the treadmill! I can only dream of running 11 mph. I was able to go up to 7 mph for a brief period of time & it almost killed me.

And to answer your question on my blog, irish potato is made up of conf. sugar, butter, coconut, cinnamon, and other stuff. I believe there's a bunch of recipes posted on the net. All I can say is it's not good for you!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Hi hon.. yea I wish I could come on down for the Phat camp..or that she'd come up here to Vancouver..i think there would be LOTS of takers up here!

As to the call ...whenever you have time hon! ..or Maybe, make it soon I need a kick in the butt right now PMS is brutal & I gotta climb outta the choclate bin! akkk!

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Looks like a good workout. You mentioned doing High weights/Lower reps, have you considered that one week then Low weights/high reps the next week? I read in a fitness mag that alot of competitors do it that way. I'm not structured enough to do it.

Lori

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Stef said...

SHIN SPLINTS SUCK!!!!!!!! I have major problems with them! When I try to do my HIIT on the tready, my shins start to kill me at about the 10 minute mark. I changed up my HIIT on the treadmill and it helped. It isn't Bill's version of HIIT, but I like it and it works for me. I do a 2-5 minute walking warm up then do 20 minutes of intervals....walk a minute then sprint(9.0 mph) for a minute. I am still getting my heart rate up, but my shins are getting a bit of a break.

I am glad your eating is on track... that seems to be my hardest part still.

Call whenever.

Stef :-)

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Stef said...

SHIN SPLINTS SUCK!!!!!!!! I have major problems with them! When I try to do my HIIT on the tready, my shins start to kill me at about the 10 minute mark. I changed up my HIIT on the treadmill and it helped. It isn't Bill's version of HIIT, but I like it and it works for me. I do a 2-5 minute walking warm up then do 20 minutes of intervals....walk a minute then sprint(9.0 mph) for a minute. I am still getting my heart rate up, but my shins are getting a bit of a break.

I am glad your eating is on track... that seems to be my hardest part still.

Call whenever.

Stef :-)

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Hey Rachel... sorry about the shin splints, but it sounds like you are being a real trooper.

Good luck with the new plan... I'm starting a new challenge tomorrow and I haven't had time to put anything together yet so I guess I'll have to start out with the standard no-brainer program and work on tweaking it when I have more time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home