Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Ate my cake.

EDIT: If Jess reads this, your blog isn't allowing comments to be posted!

I had my first cheat after 20 days and I finally ate some cake. I didn’t want to buy a big cake, since my husband usually prefers the dense, rich chocolate version and I wanted light and fluffy. So I settled on an individual slice of white layer cake with white buttercream frosting from the Vons bakery. Wow. That was one helluva sugar rush. Not a high quality piece of pastry and it was awfully sweet… I felt like tossing my “cookies” after eating the ENTIRE 3”x3” two layer slice, but I believe my craving is now satisfied.

Other than my cake cheat, my diet is still ON. I’m officially carb cycling this week (2 low days, 2 low GI days, 2 higher GI days and then another cheat day) so it should be a very easy week. I saw a big jump downwards on the scale after the first week, but since then nothing. In fact, the scale crept back up. No biggie. I’ve been getting lots of compliments about my physique changes so I choose to concentrate on the good and ignore the evil scale.

Saturday morning’s workout was sprints at the high school track. Running on a track recruits completely different muscles than the treadmill. I felt it way up into my hamstrings the next day. It was really HARD but I really enjoyed it. I sprinted the straights and recovered on the corners.

My husband left early to go fishing and was gone by the time I got home so I rested on the couch for a few minutes. It was a beautiful early morning – all the windows were open and a breeze was circulating throughout the house. Ahhhh. Just as I was getting up to take a shower I heard a muffled thud sound and heard a vehicle out in front of my house. I thought it was the newspaper delivery, but the next thing I know I see a man sprinting through my back yard, yanking open my side gate, jumping into a waiting vehicle and speeding off. I ran outside and my sweet neighbor – who happened to be on his front porch and saw the whole thing – and I tried to figure out what the hell just happened. It was especially difficult because he doesn’t speak English and I only know a tiny bit of Spanish! Anyway, I finally went inside and called my husband and he suggested I call the police in case it was related to a separate incident or crime. The police arrived shortly after I called and said there’s an apartment complex a couple miles away that’s kind of known for it’s crime (grrrreaaat) but that when our gates are completed and functioning, we shouldn’t see any problems spilling over into our area. One of the policewomen spoke Spanish so we were able to piece together that the guy hopped over our back wall (it’s a stone/concrete wall about 8 feet tall) and ran through my backyard to the car waiting outside. We just can’t figure out why in the world that would happen. So strange. Oh, and the guy didn't have on any shoes - just socks. I hope they complete the gates to our gated community quickly.

This morning’s cardio workout was one of the best I’ve had in a long time. I started out doing hills on the treadmill. My gym upgraded our equipment so the treadmills now have a speed interval program and I just couldn’t resist trying it out. So all in all I burned about 610 calories in under an hour. I can feel my metabolism burning up!

14 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the continued success with training. I'm not going to chastise you for the diet thingy you did after 20 days ;-).

You're doing really great, you should be so proud of yourself.

I hope all is sorted with your security problem soon as poss.

GOOD LUCK, and keep up the impressive efforts.

:-) :-).

Matt

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Hypertrophy said...

Glad you enoyed the track workout. There's absolutely nothing like running fast, but oh yeah, you feel it the next day.
The guy jumping the wall was freaky, and made me worry about you, especially having been home alone.
It sounds like you've got your grove back Rach !

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Jen said...

WTG, Rachel! Burn, baby, burn! And keep your doors locked... just in case.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey girl..congrats on going 20 days without a cheat. I admit, I read cake, and decided that I didn't want to hear anymore (no offense..just PMSing and craving sweets. I don't need to get it in my head to eat un-clean). Hope all is well for ya! Miss ya, Dede

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Mari said...

Hey Rachel wow 20 days. You must be proud! Keep it up sounds like a great workout :D
Awesome
<3Mari

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, keep your doors locked and HOORAY on hitting it at the track and the gym!!!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Quality matters, doesn't it? I'm actually not craving anything unhealthy right now, which is a great departure from the norm.

Way to speed up that metabolism. What a great feeling!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Irene said...

I love cake! I'm glad that portion took care of your craving and you got over it... Did you do your run the day after the cake? Just curious. You're doing great! Keep on keepin' on!

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Irene, yes I ran the day after I ate the cake... Maybe I should eat cake every day!!! I wish. =P

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

Jeez, girl! You're kicking butt on your workouts! I'm impressed! WTG!

No cheat meal in 20 days! I don't know if I have the strength to do it.

That guy jumping the fence was really freaky. Do you have an alarm system in your house? I'm thankful that that's all he did and that he left you alone. Please be careful!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Exciting to hear you're doing so well with this new program!!! I'll have to pick your brain about it when I get back :P
Sorry bout the shock ...scary stuff when that happens isn't it!

Have a GREAT week you gorgeous thing! :D

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Wolfie said...

Strange story about that guy going through your yard. I think you stayed a lot more calm that I would have!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Wow... I need to get into some study like that. I hope that by signing up for a bike tour in Sept. will keep me on track and focused!

Thanks for all your comments!

Susan in NC

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Oh that cake sounds heavenly! That's awesome your craving was gone after that one piece. After the sugar I'd think it would lead to wanting more sugar. Good for you.
That interval program sounds tough, I wish I had a treadmill like that. I'm thinking of heading to the HS track to do a similar workout. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home