Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I Didn’t Cave!

Whew. I made it through the weekend without caving into my craving. I even resisted Claim Jumper’s Motherlode Cake. I won’t post a photo. It’s a six layer chocolate cake – it looked pretty good, but my real craving was for something light and fluffy – a little less decadent than the gooey chocolate cake. Thankfully, my craving for cake is pretty much under control, but I do feel increased hunger pangs. I always do when I have PMS. Grrrr.

The weekends go by way too fast. We enjoyed more time in the pool at our friends’ house on both days and saw the Pirates of the Caribbean on Sunday night. It was such a loooong movie. It was really good, but I was FREEZING and didn’t have a sweater so I couldn’t wait for the movie to end. If you go, be sure to stay till the very end – after the credits have rolled. There’s supposed to be a surprise – unfortunately we left and didn’t see what it was… and didn’t hear about the “surprise” till on our way home while listening to the radio. Did I mention it was really loooong? Bring a sweater.

Things with the diet are going well. I get carbs again so my energy is picking up and Sunday will be my first cheat day in 20 days. I don’t think I’m going to go crazy. I think the philosophy behind the cheat day is to “re-feed” the body and raise leptin levels. (From Wikipedia: Leptin is a 16 kDa protein hormone that plays a key role in regulating energy intake and energy expenditure, including the regulation of appetite and metabolism.) Blah, blah, blah. I’m so difficult with details. Anyway, my cheat day may have specific “rules” – I don’t know yet. I almost hate to have a cheat, but I believe it’s important for leptin levels.

My joints are acting up again, so workouts aren’t completely enjoyable, but I’m getting them in and feeling good and sore. I’ll be picking up a bottle of a triple joint relief formula (containing MSM, Chondrotin, Glucosomine) today. I’ve hesitated buying anything because I don’t want to drop $50 on something I don’t even know will help. Homeownership has turned me into a cheap-o.

Not much else going on. It’s really HOT, but I love the evening temperatures and the accompanying breezes. Summer is the best.

I’m putting up some pictures of Max (aka Mr. Handsome, aka The Cuteness) for your viewing pleasure (and I want the cake as far down the page as possible!). EDIT: OK, blogger isn't cooperating with me. Looks like photos will get posted later.

9 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great you're keeping the diet on track Rachel. You are doing really well to maintain, and not lose mental focus.

I know it must be tough training with the aches, but your body is benfitting in many other ways, so you should feel very proud of yourself, for sticking it out, and it shows what strength of character and heart you have to see these things through.

WELL DONE. You are doing really, really well, and I know how much all this means to you, and I appreciate and admire your efforts, to become the person you truly want to be.

GOOD LUCK, and 33 is not old misses. You are a vibrant, good looking, married woman, and you deserve to be very proud and happy of what you have, and who you are :-).

Take care

Matt

:-) :-)

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Irene said...

I have arthritis in both knees and in my left hand -- and I tried all the supps they tell you to take for joint issues (MSM, glucosamine-chondroitin,Sam-e, Calcium Citrate, and I know I'm missing one) but I noticed a big difference when I started taking fish oil capsules. You can get a giant jar full for about $10. I still take all the other supps, though. I don't know if adding the fish oil (in addition) to all the other supps made the difference or if it was soley the fish oil caps. Just an idea. If you can't do fish oil, flax seed oil is supposed to be good, too.

Just some food for though. Take care!

~Irene

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Thanks for the ideas you left for me. I did watch a movie and actually dozed off for a moment, I'm so exciting huh? It didn't end up raining anymore, I should have just gone and bought some plants and did that.

No cheat day in 20 days. God, you are amazing! I wish I could be as good.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Holy crap, no cheat day in 20 days??????????? No wonder you had pictures of cakes and assorted sweets! AWESOME job at staying strong. :)

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

Thanks on the tip for Pirates! I'm going to see it tomrrow night.

No cheat day for 20 days? That's unreal! Way to go!

I have knee isues and I take MSM or Glucosamine-Chondroitin or whatever's on sale (yup, it all stems from being a homeowner). These supps. seem to help. I heard fish oil is good too, but I also heard it makes your breath smells like fish. I might try the flax seed oil, as Irene suggested.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger KatieFeldmom said...

That cake is to die for! But for me, it's a once a year thing, so very very rich.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Hypertrophy said...

I've been taking the gluc-chondro for years ... I'm convinced I wouldn't be able to walk without it. Have heard the same thing from fish oil users as well.

cold ? what's that ? lol.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger FV Tom said...

:)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

That's great to narrow down your cravings like that- "no heavy dense chocolate, I need something light and fluffy." Most of the time I can only identify "Want sugar" and then I'm saying "Hello, pixy stick" to the crap my niece is handing out. And then realizing 10 minutes later "No, that wasn't it. Hmmm, maybe a Ding Dong will satisfy?" You must have developed refined cravings through years of training!

Thanks for the reminder about cold movie theaters. During the summer I try to always remember a sweater.

Hope you find something that works for your joints cheaply and quickly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home