Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Another One Bites the Dust, Day 2 of 84

Today was HIIT and I really went for it on the treadmill but my high point was way lower than it used to be. Several months ago - before I had to take a break for my shins - I was running at 10 mph for my “10” but today’s high point was 8.6 mph. I’d like to run 3 miles in 20 minutes, but I’ll need to shave a good 14 minutes off my current time. That’s going to be tough. Maybe my goal of 3 miles in 20 minutes is a little too ambitious? There was a thread on tracker a while back and some English fella (can’t remember his name) who passed the physical test for the Royal Navy (or is it Army?) said the true test for an excellent level of fitness is running 3 miles in 20 minutes. Why I’m so concerned about this I don’t know, but I decided that that’s where I need to be. Anyway, today’s workout was (approximately) 480 calories, 3.8 miles and 45 minutes – I followed up my HIIT with some incline walking then steady jogging at 6.0 mph.

I made sure I stretched really well before and after my run, plus I cooled down by walking on my heels and toes and tonight I’ll write the alphabet a few times with my toes… please stay away shin splints. One thing that I noticed after my run is my left hamstring is acting up again. Hopefully the stretching will take care of that, too. Am I getting old or something?

I’ve got to plan for tomorrow’s lower body workout and I’m debating whether to continue BFL-style. I really hate doing leg press and having to get up and add plates in between sets. It’s kind of a pain in the ass. I’d rather just rest during my rest period.

During yesterday’s upper body workout, I really focused my mind on each body part while lifting. It’s the first time I’ve ever really, really focused and although I went down in weights a little since my last workout (5 or 6 weeks ago… yikes), I feel different today than I ever have. The muscle soreness is beyond anything I remember from my previous hiatus in weight lifting. So maybe focusing my mind really made a difference.

5 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Erin said...

YAY! another day closer to losing the board shorts, baby!

I can't believe you could do 10mph pace!WOW! I tried 9mph today for the first time and made it all of 20 seconds... it seemed to take a freaking long time to slow down after I reduced the speed too, I was struggling to keep from flying off the back of the treadmill!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Janel said...

Hey how far did you go in the 20 minutes?? I'm just wondering because I'm trying to gauge where I am and what I need to do to get a little more distance in my HIIT. I'm nowhere near 3 miles, though!

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Stef said...

SHIN SPLINTS STAY AWAY!!!! I have trouble with them too. That is why I bought an elliptical trainer. If I try to run more than a few days a week, my shin splints start acting up. ARG!

2 great days in a row...way to go! Me too!!!

Stef :-)

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Marijayde said...

hmmmmm, 3 miles in 20 minutes wow,I may have to make that my goal too!!

Way to go on day 2, like Jess said, you are butta baby!!!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Erin: I know what you mean about it seeming to take a loooong time to slow down after that high point. But I always want to high five the person next to me cause I feel so full of excitement. One of these days I just might. =)

Janel: I can't remember exactly where my mileage was at 20 minutes, but it wasn't impressive. I think it was probably somewhere around 1.6 miles.

I'll update my blog later today and I'm including some info from the Englishman's HIIT program... it's mind-blowing.

Hope you're all having a great day!
xo, R.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home