Monday, May 08, 2006

25 things about me.

1. My ethnicity is half Italian and the rest American (mixture of French, English, possibly Irish, etc.). My maternal grandparents immigrated to the US from Italy, but didn’t teach their children to speak the language; hence, the language wasn’t passed on to me. This really makes me sad. One day I will learn to speak Italian. It’s a beautiful language.

2. If I have a natural born talent, it has yet to be discovered. I can’t sing. I can’t draw or paint. I don’t play an instrument. I do a violin that was passed down from my great grandmother. I’ve been procrastinating about taking lessons because it’s my secret hope that I’m a gifted violinist, but my secret fear is that I won’t be good at all.

3. I procrastinate like crazy. I’ve always been a procrastinator, even as a small child. It’s something I’ve never outgrown. I’ve gotten better over the past couple of years, but it’s still pretty bad.

4. My paternal grandfather swears we’re related to Princess Diana (Stewart blood) and says John Wilkes Booth is also a distant relative. I refuse to believe the latter.

5. I don’t *see* the color of people’s skin and I can’t fathom why someone would choose to be racist (if they weren’t taught to be) even though my own family has been known to judge a person based on race. When I was 11 or 12 years old my father told me if I ever married out of my race, he would disown me.

6. I’m married to a Chinese man. My father loves him.

7. I didn’t tell my family about my marriage for over a year (see #5 above).

8. I do NOT have sophisticated taste when it comes to movies… My favorites are funny and immature. Old School, School of Rock, Wedding Crashers, The Great White Hype, Nothing to Lose… I’m so looking forward to Nacho Libre.

9. I’m afraid of having children because they vomit. I can’t see, smell, hear someone else vomit without becoming ill myself. I don’t have the vomit phobia (it does exist, “emetophobia” - http://www.emetophobia.org), but seeing/hearing/smelling someone vomit is a seriously traumatic experience for me.

10. I believe in God, but I am not a religious person. I would consider myself spiritual. I don’t believe there is one “true” religion or any “wrong” religions.

11. My mother is a Jehovah’s Witness and her constant preaching pushed a wedge so far between us that I haven’t spoken to her in over 8 years. I don’t dislike her; I simply can’t bear to listen to her drone on and on. I feel like a bad person for pushing her out of my life and struggle with this guilt tremendously but don’t know what to do about it.

12. At my most depressed, I entertained thoughts of suicide. I don’t think I ever would have gone through with it, but I figured out exactly how I would do it and that frightened me enough to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist.

13. My favorite music right now is lounge/chill/world music. It’s sexy and relaxing.

14. I’m obsessed with my appearance and think I have freakish features. Sometimes I fantasize about being rich enough to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on cosmetic surgery (all facial). And maybe a boob job. After these “fantasies” I become consumed with guilt because of all the misfortune in this world and here I am obsessing about my physical imperfections.

15. I HATE having my picture taken. Sometimes I cry when I see myself in photos.

16. I’ve never seen the Exorcist and never, ever will. I won’t even let my husband bring that movie in the house.

17. I laugh and talk in my sleep. The other morning I woke myself up laughing and my husband tells me I laugh at least once a week during sleep. =P

18. I was a very skinny child. I was always having too much fun playing outside to think about eating.

19. I grew up with lots of goats, ducks, geese, chickens, a turkey, horses, dogs, and cats. I love all animals, but I'm not overly fond of cats.

20. My greatest asset and my greatest weakness are one and the same: I’m extremely sensitive. It’s my greatest asset because I’m very compassionate and caring and my weakest because I allow incidental things to hurt my feelings or I care too much about the plight and pain of others and allow myself to *feel* the pain too intensely.

21. I watched the movie, The Notebook, something like 11 consecutive times in the same weekend and cried. Every. Single. Time. The Noteblook is the one book I’ve read where I’ve thought the movie was much better.

22. My idea of a perfect vacation is a deserted tropical island, my husband, our dog, a few close friends and a staff willing to cater to our every whim, including keeping my dog safe while we’re out playing. Recreation would include kayaking, snorkeling, sailing, fishing, sleeping…. Ahhhh, sounds lovely. I’d also like to rent a houseboat in the Bahamas. Or a yacht!

23. I’m somewhat reserved and quiet. Not a wallflower, but not the center of attention… until I get a few drinks in me. People always tell me, “You are SO much fun when you drink! I can’t believe how funny you are!” - which of course makes me feel wonder exactly how boring I am when sober. I don’t really think that’s the case, but all my inhibitions go out the window after a shot or two of whatever. I do love to drink and have fun… it only it was more productive to my fitness goals.

24. I have serious self-confidence issues. I wish I didn’t care what other people thought of me. I hate to be judged.

25. I don’t mind doing laundry, but I hate to iron, fold, or put away.

I still haven’t gotten in to see a new doctor yet. I will update on that soon. I do feel a bit better and I’m confident that I don’t have lupus or anything serious. =P

14 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Wolfie said...

lol...you left off with another procrastinating one! Get to the doc, will ya! I learned a lot about you from this (all good, I promise!), I'm glad you posted yours!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Irene said...

I also enjoy the same types of movies! Most of my friends and other family members prefer hisotorical war epics, but I'd rather laugh. That being said, I saw "The Notebook" (a more sentimental and touching movie) for the first time last week. I loved it.

~Irene

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Danny Haszard said...

I'm with ya on the Jehovah's Witness family member mine are all headstrong and impossible to reason with.Cheers,Danny Haszard

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger FV Tom said...

Good job!

I've got to figure out if there are 25 things about me. Then maybe I'll put them down on "paper."

Glad to hear you're doing better.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger carolakabb said...

OMG! I am soooo excited to see Nacho Libre!!!

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Just wanted to note some of the similarities! I haven't found my natural-born talent, either. Nothing to Lose is probably my all-time favorite comedy. If only we could all get together to see Nacho Libre! It's more fun with other people who appreciate the humor.

Like you, I'm afraid of having children because of the vomiting and a million other reasons. Actually, I'd say I am terrified of having children.

I cried so much when I saw The Notebook that I can never, ever watch it again.

Photos of me drive me crazy. I really, really hate some of them. Once, I picked up the pictures from a high school dance before my date could get to them and tore them up and then told him the film didn't turn out. Well, obviously, it didn't. We even had pictures taken with another couple and I destroyed those, too. I've never admitted that out loud. But I've seen your picture and you are gorgeous!

By the way, I posted in a reply to your comment on my blog the other day that I would be happy to help you with finding a research study or doctor specializing in your area. My email's on my profile.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Sorry for the long comment. Maybe I'll go make my own list rather than relating to all of yours...

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Hypertrophy said...

#2 You'll never know until you try. :)

#3 oops ... guess thta explains #2 ... lol. C'mon Rach .. just do it !

#9 children change you, in a good way .. even if they are not your's by blood. I'm guessing it wouldn't phase you one bit.

#14 .. that was you in those wedding photos, right ? You are a gorgoeus woman Rach. :P

Don't put off seeing the doctor. Hoping for the best !!

Jim

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Just a lonely girl said...

Things we have in common:
3 (hang on...gotta go clip my nails...I'll finish this later), 5 (I come from a small town and there was only one black family in town. I had absolutely NO idea how people found SO much to talk about when it came to that family. They were fabulous!), 9 (I'm not afraid of having children because I already have one, but I certainly have the same reaction as you do. I was fortunate...my daughter wasn't a sicky. However, my kitties have their moments and I literally put a bunch of paper towels on it and leave it until my daughter comes home because I gag just thinking about picking it up. It was a deal we made when we got our cats. :-D), 10, 11 (Not my mother, but my sister. We eventually came to an agreement to never, ever discuss religion. It's worked so far), 15 (exactly the same :-(), 20 (I'm a sap. Just an absolute basket case when it comes to other people and myself), 23 (I was horribly shy when I was a child. So much so that I covered my face with my bangs and they hung past my chin. I have a bit of a phobia in crowds although people laugh when I say that because apparently I don't come across as shy.), 24 (My poor boyfriend. He stares at the ground most of the time. ;-)) and 25 (same with dishes. I don't mind washing them. I just don't like drying them or putting them away.)

Sorry for taking up so much space. I just had a bit of extra time. Perhaps I will go find another list of 25 to relate to in detail. :-)

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Just a lonely girl said...

P.S. Two things:
1. I VERY clearly remember the first time you pm'd me on tracker and I thought you possitively beautiful. I thought you were joking with the comment written under your photo. It was something self-deprecating.
2. The most I ever cried during a movie/tv show that I can remember was the most recent episode of Grey's Anatomy. Good gracious!!! I didn't stop!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

Some things we have in common:

I hate getting my pictures taken. I just don't take pictures well. I almost cry when I see them. It took me forever to find one that I thought was decent enough to post in my blog.

I'm also self conscious about what people think of me.

I will never watch The Exorcist!

I never saw "The Notebook", but I guess now I have to see it. But I do love "A Walk to Remember", another Nicholas Sparks novel. I could watch the movie over and over again (yes, even with Mandy Moore)!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I really need to do this as well. coming up with 25 things about me - just me... not my kids or my husband... I'll have to think about that one.
Glad to hear that you are confident you don't have lupus. I just hope you can get some relief! Good to hear from you.

Susan in NC

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

WOW lots in common you & I girl! ( not the JW thing but lots of others!!) & SCHOOOL of ROCK is a classic in my mind!! & Jim is RIGHT!!!! I saw the wedding pics too& you ARE gorgeous - So there!!

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Tracey said...

Can you believe I'm just getting caught up with your blog NOW??? I'm a lazy wench & I keep my "world" too small. Your list is very interesting even tho I don't know youm as is the rest of your blog. I really need to expand the list of blogs I read. I'll be back to visit if thats okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home