Thursday, June 01, 2006

Still have lots of work to do…

I have a bit of a lull in my workday (weighting [OMG, see how I typed “waiting” – is that a Freudian slip?] on someone else to finish a part of a project so I may proceed) so I thought I’d do a little blogging.

After looking at the photos of our new home, I’ve come to the conclusion that there is no part of my personality in the décor whatsoever… I try not to get caught up on the little things – like whether or not I HATE those curtains or whether or not I think things look a little too hard and masculine. I try to take on the stance of a Buddhist monk, because in the big scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter much. I literally say to myself, “I am a Buddhist monk” and it brings me to a peaceful place and I think about the big picture vs. the small details. I know, I’m a nutcase… but I’m telling you, it works! What’s important is that we’re both happy and healthy. We have a lovely roof over our heads. Who cares if my personality doesn’t come through in the decoration of our home?

Or does it matter? Should I take a more dominant stance and create something that reflects both of our personalities? Will I lose myself if I step back and allow J to make the decisions? Hmmmmm. See, I confuse myself when I over-analyze…

OK, I’m back to it doesn’t really matter. Remember my greatest fear being that J would inherit his mom’s early on-set Alzheimer’s? That’s another motivator in my letting J make the decisions… what if his time is limited? His mom is in her mid 50’s, has been diagnosed for about 8 years and is already to the point that she no longer has lucid moments. She’s a shell and doesn’t even recognize her children or her husband. Her and J were as close as mother and son could possibly be… I’ve spent 10 weeks with her over the last two years, but her disease is so advanced and she’s so far gone that I don’t even know if she would like me as a daughter-in-law. It’s really the saddest thing I’ve ever experienced.

On to the photos…

If you look to the lower left of this first photo, you can see my little dog, Max.









We bought the masks, elephant head, black and white artwork, black and white Balinese doll prints (my husband has a thing for black and white art) and most of the stuff hanging on the walls while we were visiting Malaysia. The sailboat was my gift to J for our first anniversary.

When we got married, I sold most of my furniture and most of my stuff because I was under the impression we would buy things together with both making equal decisions… sigh. I am a Buddhist monk.

The artwork I brought into our marriage is currently located in one room of our house – it’s the polar opposite of J’s taste (which is why he’s relegated it to the spare room which will eventually become our home gym) and full of vibrant colors. It’s a little over the top. I bought it from a local artist as a gift to myself to celebrate the one year anniversary of breaking it off with my ex-boyfriend. We’d been together for nine long years (he’s the same man that I allowed to come between me and my best friend – why do some women make the worst decisions about certain men???). Anyway, the artwork kind of represents life and fun and freedom to me. I’ll take photos of the artwork in there and you can see for yourselves how completely different it is from the rest of the house. The mirror on the easel stand is mine from my single days, but I really think it looks atrocious where it is right now and would prefer to replace the existing console in the entryway with a much longer console and get rid of the mirror all together. It just doesn’t work as it is.



We’re temporarily trying out a Japanese style dining table (floor cushions need to be purchased) because the coffee table we have is too large for our living room and it’s such a beautiful table that I didn’t want to get rid of it. On an episode of Great Hotels, Samantha Brown stayed in a hotel that had a Japanese style dining table and it looked so cool, but I’m not really excited about the way it looks in our dining room…



J is so sweet. He bought me a little TV for the kitchen so when I’m spending all my time cooking separate meals for each of us I can be entertained…



Our current plan is to buy the Greenwich sectional from Pottery Barn and I’d like to replace the console with the Raleigh Console (also from PB). My beloved J has already decided upon our bedroom furnishings… it’s beautiful, but wouldn’t be my first choice. I am a Buddhist monk. I am a Buddhist monk. I am a Buddhist monk.

More photos to come soon.

15 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

I love your house! Wish I have your flair for decorating.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Wolfie said...

It's definitely contemporary! I think you are right though, this decorating thing should be something you both love. I'd have a hard time not having a say with the whole house! It really is beautiful, but I'd be afraid I'd break something! I really like the black/white photos set up!
In our house, with the kids and all, our saying has become, "we just can't have nice things!" lol

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Erin said...

It's absolutely gorgeous... looks like its out of the pages of a magazine... but you don't want to have to feel like you're living in someone else's house! Over time you may start to feel more connected with everything, but if not you should definitely assert yourself to incorporate elements that are more "you".

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Those are great pictures. I love your home. Even though I love my house, I have no flair for decorating.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Irene said...

Your house is beautiful. As time goes on, you can weave some of what is more "you" into the decor. I can so very much relate to your decorating dilemma... This sounds like a good plot for one of those decorating shows on H>V. I married an architect and everything started out black, red, cobalt blue and white, very contemporary and clean lines - nice but(to me) sterile... That's all changed now. :) I have more of what is "me" mixed in, which is more ecclectic... You can do the same.
~Irene

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Irene said...

Woops...
I'm not sure what happened but it's suupposed to be "Home And Garden TV" not H>V....

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Total Freudian slip!

Did I miss the picture of your art work?

Why do your words always hit home for me? Your thought process, about our home decor, is so much like mine... except I'm going to add the phrase "I am a Buddhist monk" to the conversation. While I like my husband's style, am I losing myself?

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Irene said...

Ummmmm... Guess what? Something to divert you from decorating...

Tag! You're it! Check my blog for the "Favorite Things" list... Play along if you like.

~Irene

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

well Darlin, the masses have spoken.. It is beautiful.. but regardless of how much "time" you have , you need to feel happy & contented where you are.. having lived where things 'weren't mine' I understand that need.. "being a Monk" may bring you calm...but what might bring you Joy??

So much of You isn't in this house gorgeous as it is.. where are you? I can't feel you... ahhhh I'm blithering again & there's more in my head ( hmmm I freudian typod Heart..go figure! ).. we REALLY have to talk on the phone some time hon!

Do you have my #???

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Hypertrophy said...

I love the decor .. I'm guessing you get a very serence and calming vibe from it.

I do know what you mean about asserting your own Rachelnish to it though .... ex ex had our house full of doilies and floral ... not exactly the place you wuld expect a muscle head to live ... lol.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Marijayde said...

wow, ditto everyone else! Your house is beautiful, and you most definitly need to put yourself in there somewhere!!

I am mostly jealous of how "CLEAN" it is...sigh...

OK, now get out and find something of YOU to put around everywhere!

I am sorry to hear about your mom in law, that has to be so hard. I can't even imagine it happening so early, wow...

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger FV Tom said...

absolutely gorgeous!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Just a lonely girl said...

All I can say is WOW! That place is spectacular!! I would destroy it in no time with my flare for being messy. :-D

I don't know much about decorating. It's not my forte so I'm typically happy with whatever, but I do like to have one room where I feel absolutely comfortable. Which means surrounded by books!!

How's your hubby doing? Sounds like quite a traumatic event with his eyes!

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Where AAAAAARE YOU??? call me tomorow(thurs) if you wish - I've been running around the last few days like CRAZY I have my daughters Track meet in the AM but around mid day I should be home..I don't leave for work until 2;30...:D

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

WOW-gorgeous home Rach!! It looks like it should be in a magazine! Hope you are doing well. Miss ya, Dede

 

Post a Comment

<< Home